Saturday, November 21, 2009

A Part of Who We Are

As we are nearing Ella's 2nd birthday,
I have been reflecting a lot on Ella's {and Joe's} birth country and birth mom.
It is easy to forget about their heritage
and the huge, most unselfish decision their birth mother made to give them up.
Not because we don't appreciate it
and not because we aren't grateful for it,
but because they are a part of us...
and we don't see them any different than Sarah, John, James, or Anna Grace.
Joe and Ella are just as much my kids as my four biological children are...
the only difference is-
the four older ones were born from my belly,
the two younger ones were born from my heart.
They "weren't born under my heart, but in it."

We love Guatemala.
Everything about it.
From the gorgeous hills and scenery to the beautiful people,
Guatemala is fascinating country.
Someday, when Joe and Ella are old enough,
we will travel back to Guatemala as a family
and share their heritage with them.
Someday, they will appreciate the choice their birth mom made.
Someday, they will notice that they look different than me.
Someday, they will start asking questions.
But, today, they see no difference.
They don't see any difference... and I like it that way.

There is a difference, though.
We don't forget it, but we embrace it.
Because of adoption, we are:
closer
stronger
more faithful
and richer in heart.
We are an adoptive family... we are a transracial adoptive family.
Some people may not understand why we chose to add to our family by international adoption.

but it is a part of our family.
It is what sets us apart.
It is who we are.

And, just as we are adopted into God's family, it is our job as Christians to advocate and care for the remaining 147 million orphans who continue to wait for a mommy and daddy to bring them home to their own family. We need to stand together and fight to make orphans history.
Is it a big task? Yes.
Does it seem overwhelming? Yes.
Is it impossible? NO.
Anything is possible with God. God is bigger than our biggest problems; including the orphan crisis... ESPECIALLY the orphan crisis. God is bigger than the orphan crisis.

I am just an individual who is stepping out to do my part to defend the cause of the fatherless.
I get so encouraged when I look around the blog world at all the other individuals who are also taking a stand. I look around and read about all the people who are doing unthinkable things to care for the orphans.
As I look around at everything that is being done to save the orphans, the unattainable number of 147 million, seems a little more attainable. I witness God's mighty power are I watch the selfless work being done by others.

He sees each and every one of the 147 million.
He knows them by name.
He knows their hurt and hears their cries.
He cares about each and every orphan around the world.

3 comments:

Suzanne and Jayme said...

WOW...that was so perfectly stated. You said in words how I think and feel everyday.

What a blessing for us that the Lord has given us the opportunity to adopt and care for those 147 million.

Your words have touched me.

michelle said...

Amen! Touching words straight from a mothers heart! God loves each and every one of HIS children, it is true he knows them by name and hears their prayers. Together, as brothers and sisters in Christ we can make a difference to reduce the number of the fatherless from 147 million to 0.

Jones Family said...

I found your blog through Suzanne's (Keeping the Faith) blog. You are both new reads for me.

I just wanted to comment and say how much I love this post. Perfect words and wonderfully put.

Amanda - Adopting "Little One"
joneseeadoption.blogspot.com