Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day, Mom

Mom,
It is impossible to thank you for all you have done.  From the hundreds of times you have brought my ID to school after I've forgotten it to all those times I "borrow" your clothes and jewelry, you have proven to be THE BEST mom in the ENTIRE WORLD! AND Although I may deny it, my friends are right... you are pretty cool.  Most of my friends don't have 5 little siblings or know all about orphans worldwide, but, thanks to you, I do and I wouldn't change it for the world!!!!  Thanks for everything!

And here is your Mother's Day present...

Your Baby Girl
I'm no longer a little girl
As you can plainly see,
But that doesn't mean
You matter any less to me.
You may not be able to hold me
Or sing me lullabies,
You may not feed me dinner
Or tuck me into bed each night.

For I am quickly growing
Into a lady not a girl.
But don't let that fool you,
I am still your baby girl.
As I start a new adventure
Into high school I will go
I will need you more than ever
Though I may not always know.


There are times when I am happy
And there are times that I am mad,
But you have always shown me
To look at the fullness of the glass.

You've taught me many lessons
From manners to having fun,
But how to love my Savior
Is the most important one.
Your words and your wisdom
Have taught me a whole lot,
But it's how you've lived your life
That you have truly taught.
Your love for your family
Your passion for the poor
Your dedication to care for orphans
Your way of always giving more
Is more powerful than words
More meaningful than any gift
The way your heart bleeds through
Is your teaching in its pure bliss.

So every year as I get older
From your baby girl anew
Someday when I'm a mother,
I hope I end up just like you.

I love you, Mom!!!!

Love,
Sarah

4 comments:

Stroup Family said...

THANK YOU SARAH!! YOUR POEM IS THE MOST AMAZING AND WONDERFUL GIFT I COULD EVER HOPE FOR. YOUR WORDS ARE SO INSPIRING AND PRECIOUS. THANK YOU, YOU HAVE TURNED INTO A BEAUTIFUL AND AMAZING YOUNG LADY WHO WILL ALWAYS BE MY BABY GIRL!
LOVE YOU SO MUCH, MOM

Sophie said...

How absolutely beautiful what a most precious gift from a daughter, one that I'm sure you will cherish forever.
I can't imagine getting a better gift than this.
Hope you had a Happy Mother's Day.

sallee said...

priceless!!
Happy Mother's Day Shari!!

michelle said...

Shari,
what a wonderful tribute to a wonderful mother from one of your own, who truly knows you best. Sometimes I am just in aaahhhh of the responsibility we have as mothers, but with HIM at our side may we mothers all leave a similar legacy for our children/ His children in the world He created for us.
XOXO